Sunday, January 6, 2013

Taco Salad!

When Clay and I first lived together we didn't cook ANYTHING. Well, nothing that was healthy. He once baked my birthday cake and left it on the oven top with the oven still going and boiled my cooked and frosted cake. We ate a lot of ramen and hamburger helper (with crunchy noodles). So, anyway, when we first lived together and actually started cooking he introduced me to this completely delicious and easy dinner. This might be something a lot of people already eat and know how to cook but it was amazing for me!

Taco Salad!
1-2 lbs of ground turkey (you could also use beef or 2-4 shredded chicken breasts
Taco seasoning (I buy the huge Costco one and it calls for 1/2 cup, I use a little less than that because my kiddos don't like it to be spicy at all)
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (Clay likes them super soft so he also boils them while the meat is cooking)
Salad of your choice (we usually just buy the big bag of salad but we have also done a head of lettuce)
Ranch from scratch, sorta. Use the hidden valley ranch packets - the ones you mix with mayo and milk. It makes the salad!
Tortilla chips, crushed
Catalina Dressing

First cook and crumble your meat, then season. I add the kidney beans when I'm seasoning the meat, you can serve them on the side as a topping, or not at all. Built your salad, add meat, chips, dressing. You can add whatever you want to the salad. We love it with avocado, tomatoes, broccoli, bell pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, anything really.

It takes no time to throw together and it's super good. You can serve it in a crunchy taco bowl if you want to be fancy.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment